Armanogeia is a settlement of the Metaxochori district, southwest of the Epanosifis monastery. Armanogeia are 38 kilometers away from Heraklion, built at an altitude of 380 meters.
In 1577 the settlement was referred by Barozzi as “Armanogia”, in 1583 by Kastrofulakas as “Arimanogia”, with 66 inhabitants, in 1630 by Vasilicata as “Armanoia”.
In the Turkish census of 1671, it was referred as “Armenoye”. The incorrect spelling of the name by the Turks, unmistakably led Stavrinidis, to assume that the village was inhabited by Armenians.
Stelios Alexiou believes, that the name of the village comes from “Erima (deserted) Anogia”. This view is further supported, by Kastrofylakas, writing it as “Arimanogeia”.
The name of the settlement’s streets, were based on the love of the inhabitants for their music and their special appeal to the mandinades, the lyre, the mandolin and dance.
There are two historical monasteries in the area: the Monastery of “St. George of Epanosifis” and the Monastery of “Panagia (Our Lady) of Spiliotissa”.
The Monastery of St. George Epanosifis, was built during the last years of the Venetian occupation and gained such a reputation, that in the following years it became one of the biggest pilgrimages of Crete.
The Monastery of Panagia (Our Lady) Spiliotissa, is located between the villages of Agios Vasilios and Choudetsi.
With information from wikipedia